Saturday, January 15, 2011

O'Connor v. O'Connor

Last night I watched an episode of a TV show in which a sixteen-year-old girl gets pregnant and tries to decide whether to have an abortion.

Then I went to sleep and dreamed a Flannery O'Connor story. It was beautiful, brutal and brilliant. It confronted the human condition, all our hypocrisy and selfishness. It was a masterpiece--I wish I could tell you more. I couldn't believe I'd never read it before.

There were discussion questions following the story:

1. O'Connor was devoutly Catholic. What elements of this story are Christian?
2. How does this story shed light on O'Connor's decision as Supreme Court Justice?

2 comments:

  1. The older I get, the more appreciate O'Connor. I used to think she was too much (when I was in my 20s), then I realized that the America she was writing about was 'too much,' and the exaggerations just mirrored those distortions. ...Your brain was connecting the O'Connors. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Barb. I sometimes wonder how O'Connor was ever appreciated in her own lifetime. But she was!

    ReplyDelete